Why Thick Film Technology
Thick film hybrids are a more robust alternative to Printed Circuit Boards (PCB). In many cases, a thick film hybrid can replace the PCB to function in environmentally adverse conditions. Thick film hybrids can operate in extreme heat, underwater, and in many other conditions in which a PCB cannot function.
A summary of advantages of thick film technology:
- Higher precision on resistors. PCB resistors are mounted, while thick film resistors are printed, fired and trimmed to greater precision.
- Higher reliability due to fewer soldering connections than a PCB. Printed thick film circuits have higher metal interconnection reliability.
- More compact, efficient package. A thick film hybrid can be half the size of a PCB.
- Wider temperature range. Thick film circuits are tested to function in extreme heat and adverse condition.
- Fully encapsulated packaging. More resistant to moisture, heat, corrosion, and shock.
- Economical. Thick film packaging does not require mounting into a box, an advantage that can be a significant cost savings.